Driving around Susanville, we noticed an interesting tree carved into a scene. Our Digital Marketing Director (and photographer) Jaime insisted we stop and have a look. We hollered to the upstairs porch and asked if we could take some pictures. We were welcomed by Judy McInnis, husband Manny and son Marvin. Judy told us how she remembered her momma planting that tree when she was a little girl. Eventually it grew so big, its arms reached over the road and one arm fell. She knew it had grown unsafe, yet could not imaging getting rid of the tree. It was decided they would have to cut it down, but they left enough stump for a local carver, Bill from Westwood, to carve out a magnificent scene. Since Judy and her husband had been married 55 years at the time of the carving, Bill suggested carving two wolves, since they mate forever. You can see the stream flowing in the carving. Next to it, Manny has constructed what we were told is called a Good Luck Bottle Tree. The trunk and branches were constructed in steel and it was mounted in cement; over 200 glass beer and wine bottles were attached. When the sun catches the shimmer of the glass, its as if you can feel the good luck. We greatly enjoyed meeting them and hearing about their tales of snowmobiling Westwood in the old days. In fact, Judy was a snowmobile champion in 13 states.
About The Author
Raised in Concord, CA, Eileen found her home in Westwood, CA in the late 1970's where life included 18 years of heating only with a wood stove, lots of deep snows, cooking on a wood stove and plenty of homemade recipes to save money and feed well two growing boys and husband, a hard working timber faller. Their little family lived life as an adventure. Eileen learned how to make do and in fact, make things pretty nice around the house in the tiny town surrounded by lakes and streams. Her life long desire to write has turned into her dream job after a long career in newspaper and radio.
Mar 15, 2013
Mar 15, 2013
Apr 10, 2013
Follow Us on Twitter
- Trump accused of rape, major media yawns: Why was E. Jean Carroll's story not front page news? - Salon Jun 24, 2019Trump accused of rape, major media yawns: Why was E. Jean Carroll's story not front page news? SalonTrump accuser says alleged sexual assault mirrored 'Access Hollywood' claims CNNDonald Trump Rape Accuser E. Jean Carroll Says She's Received Death Threats Since Making Allegation NewsweekHave we become numb to Trump’s loathsomeness? The Washington PostAre we bored with rape? I hope not. […]
- SpaceX Falcon Heavy poised for dramatic night launch - CBS News Jun 24, 2019SpaceX Falcon Heavy poised for dramatic night launch CBS NewsFalcon Heavy rocket set to attempt SpaceX’s “most difficult launch ever” Ars TechnicaSpaceX Eyes New Feats With Falcon Heavy Launch Tonight Space.comHow satellites have evolved ahead of SpaceX launch 10News WTSPOne goes up, one stays on the ground and one gets ready: It's a week in space The RegisterView full coverage […]
- Giant Squid Captured On Film For Only The Second Time In History - The Daily Caller Jun 24, 2019Giant Squid Captured On Film For Only The Second Time In History The Daily CallerAn elusive giant squid that inspired the 'kraken' sea monster legend has been spotted in US waters for the first time Business InsiderHaunting Video Is The First Footage Ever Recorded of a Giant Squid in US Waters ScienceAlertScientists captured video of a giant squid. […]
- iPadOS public beta: top 6 features - The Verge Jun 24, 2019iPadOS public beta: top 6 features The VergeiPadOS makes Apple's tablets feel like a priority again EngadgetiOS 13 public beta: The best things to try now that it's live CNETiOS 13 hands-on: dark mode, Apple Maps, Reminders, and more The VergeApple releases first public beta of iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 9to5MacView full coverage on Google News
- macOS Catalina preview: It's all about the apps - Engadget Jun 24, 2019macOS Catalina preview: It's all about the apps EngadgetmacOS Catalina first look: goodbye, iTunes; hello, iPad apps on Mac The VergeApple releasing first public beta of macOS Catalina today 9to5MacmacOS 10.15 Catalina preview TechCrunchApple Releases First Public Beta of macOS Catalina to Public Beta Testers MacRumorsView full coverage on Google News