Driving around Susanville, we noticed an interesting tree carved into a scene. Our Digital Marketing Director (and photographer) Jaime insisted we stop and have a look. We hollered to the upstairs porch and asked if we could take some pictures. We were welcomed by Judy McInnis, husband Manny and son Marvin. Judy told us how she remembered her momma planting that tree when she was a little girl. Eventually it grew so big, its arms reached over the road and one arm fell. She knew it had grown unsafe, yet could not imaging getting rid of the tree. It was decided they would have to cut it down, but they left enough stump for a local carver, Bill from Westwood, to carve out a magnificent scene. Since Judy and her husband had been married 55 years at the time of the carving, Bill suggested carving two wolves, since they mate forever. You can see the stream flowing in the carving. Next to it, Manny has constructed what we were told is called a Good Luck Bottle Tree. The trunk and branches were constructed in steel and it was mounted in cement; over 200 glass beer and wine bottles were attached. When the sun catches the shimmer of the glass, its as if you can feel the good luck. We greatly enjoyed meeting them and hearing about their tales of snowmobiling Westwood in the old days. In fact, Judy was a snowmobile champion in 13 states.
About The Author
Raised in Concord, CA, Eileen found her home in Westwood, CA in the late 1970's where life included 18 years of heating only with a wood stove, lots of deep snows, cooking on a wood stove and plenty of homemade recipes to save money and feed well two growing boys and husband, a hard working timber faller. Their little family lived life as an adventure. Eileen learned how to make do and in fact, make things pretty nice around the house in the tiny town surrounded by lakes and streams. Her life long desire to write has turned into her dream job after a long career in newspaper and radio.
Follow Us on Twitter
- Morgan Stanley cuts bear case on Tesla to $10 - Seeking Alpha May 21, 2019Morgan Stanley cuts bear case on Tesla to $10 Seeking AlphaMorgan Stanley analysts have delivered another blow to Tesla (TSLA), slashing their worse-case scenario for the stock price to just $10 (from $97) because.View full coverage on Google News
- Game of Thrones season 8 finale recap: The Iron Throne - CNET May 21, 2019Game of Thrones season 8 finale recap: The Iron Throne CNET'Game of Thrones' Season 8 Series Finale: Did Bran Stark Always Know He Would Be King? The Cheat Sheet‘Game of Thrones’ Season 8 Unresolved Loose Ends The Ringer9 Things We Still Want to Know Now That ‘Game of Thrones’ Is Over The New York TimesFrom Bran the Broken to […]
- Home Depot earnings beat despite wet start to spring - CNBC May 21, 2019Home Depot earnings beat despite wet start to spring CNBCHome Depot beats 1Q earnings expectations, misses on same-store sales Yahoo FinanceView full coverage on Google News
- 3 million-year-old 'mighty mouse' fossil still has red fur - CNN May 21, 20193 million-year-old 'mighty mouse' fossil still has red fur CNNResearchers identify red coloring in an ancient fossil for the first time EngadgetIn a first, researchers identify reddish coloring in an ancient fossil Phys.orgView full coverage on Google News
- Ransomware Cyberattacks On Baltimore Put City Services Offline - NPR May 21, 2019Ransomware Cyberattacks On Baltimore Put City Services Offline NPRBaltimore is just the latest municipality hit with a ransomware attack. Residents can't use the city servers they need to purchase homes, pay online bills or email ...