From the FBI
Internet Safety Tips for kids
MAKE SURE YOUR KIDS KNOW THE RULES:
If your child has access to a computer, here are some very important things for them to keep in mind when on the computer at home or at school. Go over these important FBI rules with kids who go online.
* First, remember never to give out personal information such as your name, home address, school name, or telephone number in a chat room or on bulletin boards. Also, never send a picture of yourself to someone you chat with on the computer without your parent’s permission.
* Never write to someone who has made you feel uncomfortable or scared.
* Do not meet someone or have them visit you without the permission of your parents.
* Tell your parents right away if you read anything on the Internet that makes you feel uncomfortable.
* Remember that people online may not be who they say they are. Someone who says that “she” is a “12-year-old girl” could really be an older man.
To read more about new privacy rules, visit the Federal Trade Commission’s Web site at www.ftc.gov. There is a special section just for kids.