Author: Eileen

Spice Cupcakes

Ingredients 1 3/4 cups cake flour 3/4 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Cinnamon, Ground 1 teaspoon McCormick® Allspice, Ground 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ginger, Ground 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Nutmeg, Ground 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature 1 cup packed dark brown sugar 2 large eggs 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract 1/3 cup sour cream 1/2 cup whole milk Autumn Colored Cream Cheese Frosting 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened to room temperature 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar...

Read More

Soft, Sticky Caramel Corn

Ingredients 1/2 C. butter 1 cup Karo syrup, light 1 cup brown sugar 1 can sweetened condensed milk 6 quarts popped popcorn, with unpopped kernels removed. Preparation Mix syrup, sugar and butter. Boil to soft stage or until mixture reaches 237º when tested with a candy thermometer (this will take several minutes.) Another way to test if you don’t have a candy thermometer is to drop a drip of mixture into ice water; if it turns into a ball or threads that are hard but pliable, it is ready. (Have ice water ready for that test.) Pour caramel mixture...

Read More

Wolves Return To Northern California-Shasta & Lassen Packs Confirmed

By Eileen Majors Wolves have been discovered in California once again. Both the Shasta Pack and now the Lassen Pack have been officially identified by wildlife officials for inhabiting specific areas in NorCal. The Shasta Pack consisted of a breeding pair with five pups in 2015. While their whereabouts is unknown, one of the pups was detected in northwestern Nevada in 2016. The Lassen Pack consists of a male, a female and three pups, which have been photographed on remote trail cams in western Lassen County.  The adult female was collared and is being tracked.  The Lassen Pack regularly...

Read More


I am not sure why I should change anything; everybody loves me around here. I am overzealous to say the least, or sleeping; that’s my average day. While I spend about 80% of the time snoozing, the other 20% is all about getting someone to throw me the ball. (Oh, I like eating too.) Recently my mom has been looking up information on pet obesity and now she’s talking about changing my diet. She is always running off on these tangents, and somehow I’m the one that pays the price. She has to get all involved just because October...

Read More

Saving Lives, One Mammogram At A Time

Before mammography, one-half of breast cancer patients died from the disease.  Now the 5-year survival rate is 99%, when breast cancer is detected early before it has spread.  Mammography was recommended as a screening tool in 1976 by the American Cancer Society and has been shown to markedly reduce the number of deaths from breast cancer.  Analysis of the 2014 data from the National Cancer Institute shows that there has been a 38% drop in deaths from breast cancer since 1990. This amounts to 274,765 breast cancer deaths averted since 1990! This is largely attributed to the increased use...

Read More

Subscribe to our magazine

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Northern California!

You have Successfully Subscribed!