Driving around Susanville, we noticed an interesting tree carved into a scene. Our Digital Marketing Director (and photographer) Jaime insisted we stop and have a look. We hollered to the upstairs porch and asked if we could take some pictures. We were welcomed by Judy McInnis, husband Manny and son Marvin. Judy told us how she remembered her momma planting that tree when she was a little girl. Eventually it grew so big, its arms reached over the road and one arm fell. She knew it had grown unsafe, yet could not imaging getting rid of the tree. It was decided they would have to cut it down, but they left enough stump for a local carver, Bill from Westwood, to carve out a magnificent scene. Since Judy and her husband had been married 55 years at the time of the carving, Bill suggested carving two wolves, since they mate forever. You can see the stream flowing in the carving. Next to it, Manny has constructed what we were told is called a Good Luck Bottle Tree. The trunk and branches were constructed in steel and it was mounted in cement; over 200 glass beer and wine bottles were attached. When the sun catches the shimmer of the glass, its as if you can feel the good luck. We greatly enjoyed meeting them and hearing about their tales of snowmobiling Westwood in the old days. In fact, Judy was a snowmobile champion in 13 states.
About The Author
Raised in Concord, CA, Eileen found her home in Westwood, CA in the late 1970's where life included 18 years of heating only with a wood stove, lots of deep snows, cooking on a wood stove and plenty of homemade recipes to save money and feed well two growing boys and husband, a hard working timber faller. Their little family lived life as an adventure. Eileen learned how to make do and in fact, make things pretty nice around the house in the tiny town surrounded by lakes and streams. Her life long desire to write has turned into her dream job after a long career in newspaper and radio.
Jun 1, 2010
Nov 21, 2016
Dec 1, 2010
Follow Us on Twitter
- Day of Recovery sponsored by Genesis Behavior Health Apr 22, 2018Day of Recovery sponsored by Genesis Behavior Health The Daily JeffersonianFull coverage
- Cleaning up the community | WHIZ News Apr 21, 2018Cleaning up the community | WHIZ News WHIZFull coverage
- Annual Community Shred Day | WHIZ News Apr 21, 2018Annual Community Shred Day | WHIZ News WHIZFull coverage
- John Glenn High School academic rolls Apr 21, 2018John Glenn High School academic rolls Zanesville Times RecorderFull coverage
- Pet of the Week: Roo | WHIZ News Apr 20, 2018Pet of the Week: Roo | WHIZ News WHIZFull coverage