[media-credit id=4 align=”alignleft” width=”300″][/media-credit]This time of year, apples are falling off trees in every direction. Bags of apples are easy to come by in neighborhoods where apple trees are everywhere. This is good news for nutrition. One medium apple counts as one cup of fruit in the MyPyramid.gov Fruit Group. One medium apple also provides almost 20% of the daily, recommended amount of fiber. Keep your apples in the refrigerator for longer shelf life and for the sake of having a crisp, cold apple anytime you want it. Don’t wash your apples until you are ready to eat them; they will keep longer. With zero fat, zero cholesterol, and zero sodium, an apple makes a healthy snack. 19 grams of natural sugar make it a popular choice for kids. One medium apple will pack 14% of the daily, recommended intake for Vitamin C (based on a 2,000 calorie per day diet). Apples are a powerful source of antioxidants, including polyphenols, flavonoids and are also a good source of potassium. In the United States, Fuji apples have the highest total phenilic and flavonoid content of any apples. Each type of apple has a different color skin. With each, comes different nutrients and a good reason to eat a wide variety of apples! Use apples in your favorite recipes. To prevent sliced apples from turning brown, in the process, dip them into a solution of 1 part lemon juice and 3 parts water. http://www.fns.usda.gov/fdd/facts http://www.superfoodsrx.com/superfoods/apples/
About The Author
Follow Us on Twitter
- Northern California businesses still feel impact of Hurricane Irma - KCRA Sacramento Sep 26, 2017KCRA SacramentoNorthern California businesses still feel impact of Hurricane IrmaKCRA SacramentoHurricane Irma's ripple effect is hitting California -- especially consumers wanting fresh flowers for weddings and other special events. It's been a challenge getting some of the most popular varieties of flowers at G. Rossi Florist in Sacramento ...and more »
- Wildfire danger 'critical' across Northern California - KCRA.com - KCRA Sacramento Sep 25, 2017KCRA SacramentoWildfire danger 'critical' across Northern California - KCRA.comKCRA SacramentoDry, north winds and above average temperatures have sparked a fire warning across Northern California. The National Weather Service issued a Red Flag ...2 Wildfires In Northern California Destroy or Damage Multiple HomesInsurance Journalall 3 news articles »
- 2 Oakland police officers hurt in car crash - Fresno Bee Sep 25, 20172 Oakland police officers hurt in car crashFresno BeeOfficials in Northern California say two police officers have been hospitalized after crashing while responding to a call about a shooting. Oakland Police says the officers and third person were injured Monday. The officers were responding to a call ...and more »
- Bay Area LIFE: Find your fantasy at the Northern California Renaissance Faire - KGO-TV Sep 25, 2017KGO-TVBay Area LIFE: Find your fantasy at the Northern California Renaissance FaireKGO-TVHuzzah! A mystical land of adventures awaits visitors to the Northern California Renaissance Faire, which takes place weekends through October 15th at Casa de Fruta near Hollister. For five straight weekends, more than 20-acres of the grounds are taken ...
- Multiple Homes Hit by 2 Wildfires in Northern California - U.S. News & World Report Sep 24, 2017Sacramento BeeMultiple Homes Hit by 2 Wildfires in Northern CaliforniaU.S. News & World ReportMultiple Homes Hit by 2 Wildfires in Northern California. Authorities say multiple homes and other structures have been destroyed or damaged in two wildfires in Northern California. Sept. 23, 2017, at 11:50 p.m.. Multiple Homes Hit by 2 Wildfires in ...Two homes […]