It isn’t much fun, but maybe you can involve the family and have a contest for whomever fills the most bags! Anyhow, leaf raking is a must and so here are a few tips to make the most of your efforts:
- Make sure everyone helping has a good, sturdy rake with wide tines that will bend slightly, under pressure. This helps make the most of each and every sweep. Of course, the more help the better, especially if you have a big yard!
- Check the direction of the wind before you start raking, and always begin down-wind, or you’ll end up having to re-rake the same area you just raked, no fun.
- Short sweeps are better than long ones, in order to gather, and hold onto, the biggest volume of leaves in a single motion.
- Raking the leaves into small piles, and then raking small piles into larger ones, is another tried and tested method of taking care of the build-up.
- If you have a very large yard it may also be helpful to tackle one section at a time, until the job is complete.